Fluffy Friends

Saturday, October 27, 2012

German Chocolate Cake

Sorry everyone I have been a very bad baker recently and have avoided my blog posts for quite awhile. It's not like I haven't baked anything, quite the opposite, I've been super busy so yeah, that will be my excuse, I've been to busy to think of witty and useful things to tell you all. I guess I need to determine what I really want my blog to be about, it seems like recipe sharing is really popular if you stick with easy things to make, or how too video's are popular as well, but personally, I have no desire to put my voice to a how too demonstration :) So, I think I will just go mainly with recipes that I've made so everyone can try them or just look at them. Some of these will be items I sell and I will post the recipes because it's some that are readily available to anyone, so it's not like I'm giving away company secrets, right?

First up:

German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting


What you need for the cake:

4 oz. or 1 Baker's German Chocolate bar
1/2 water
4 eggs, separated
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup buttermilk

Heat over to 350 degrees. Spray 2-9 inch cake pans and line with wax paper.

Combine chocolate bar and water in micro safe bowl and cook for 1 min., stir, and put back in for 30 more seconds. If mixture is smooth when stirred, it's ready. Set aside.

Separate eggs. Put egg white is a mixing bowl and beat on high until stiff peaks hold. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Next, in your mixer bowl, beat your butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in vanilla.  Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next adding alternate flour and buttermilk to you batter. Once everything is combined, slowly fold in your egg whites until incorporated.

Divide batter evenly among both pans and bake 30 min. or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately run a knife around the edges to loosen (be sure you do this, or it will stick). Let cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.

Coconut Pecan Frosting

1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.)
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter
7  ounce package coconut
1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine milk, yolks, sugar and butter in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for about 12 min.or until mixture is thickened. Stir constantly as it will scorch easily. Once mixture is thickened, remove from heat and stir in vanilla, add coconut and nuts. Mix well and let cool completely.

I like this frosting so much that I want it all over and in the middle of the cake. I'm not a big fan of just putting it between the layers and on top. I put a nice thick layer in the middle of the cakes and piped a damn of chocolate fudge frosting to hold it all in. Then I covered it completely in the yummy coconut frosting and then piped a little bit of decoration around the bottom and then on the top of the cake.

This is a very moist and yummy cake if you like coconut, nuts and chocolate. It's a fairly costly cake to make so be warned. The chocolate bar alone is $3. But then again, nothing is inexpensive anymore. Happy Baking!

Tammy
Fluffybutt Cookies Etc.









No comments:

Post a Comment